Saturday 11 August 2012

Cheese & Chive Straws





Every so often I make a somewhat cursory attempt at savoury snacks, usually for my dad who works Friday-Sunday nights. It's always nice to have something tasty to chomp on with a glass of wine, or stuffed in a lunch box. My mum isn't a very adventurous eater, either, so I need someone to er, experiment on.






This recipe
 from Smitten Kitchen has quickly become the favourite. 
I find recipes using puff pastry are fine, but it ends up more pastry than filling - which also has a habit of getting everywhere. These, however, are really quite wonderful. The cheese is blended to into the mixture (flour, butter, and anything additional like spices and/or herbs) as opposed to being rolled or sprinkled in, giving them light, crisp texture. I usually use a blend of strong cheddar and parmesan, and in this case fresh chives.
Needless to say they didn't last long.

No comments:

Post a Comment