Sunday 24 June 2012

"Fruit Cake" Flapjack




Once again returning to my inability to leave well enough alone and have to add things,having not made the fruit cake I said I'd make for my mum - and in need of making more flapjack - I threw in half a bag of  fruit mix into this batch to see what happened.

The verdict? I think it's really quite nice. Chewey, oat-y and fruity. A good mix all round.
Very low fat, low carb and low sugar too, of course (by which I mean not at all).



Flapjack 
(recipe adapted from my dad's adapted recipe by Linda Collister)


160g unsalted butter
230g golden syrup (or honey will work)
185g soft brown sugar
420g oats
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger



additional/alternate:

zest of 1 orange
250g fruit mix
100g molasses and 130g golden syrup

or

250g dried cranberries/raisins/apricots (I usually use all three, and I don't weigh them. Apparently I measure it in handfuls)

--

Melt butter, syrup and sugar in a pan over a low to medium heat until the butter has melted.
Mix oats, spices and fruit together then add to the pan and stir until well incorporated.
Spoon into a foil or greaseproof paper lined tin (or it'll be a bugger to get out), pressing the mixture down.

Bake for 30 minutes at 150C

Make sure to firmly press/smooth the flapjack down again once it's out of the oven, this helps it from falling apart when you cut it once it's cooled down.


1 comment:

  1. I love throwing all sorts of randoms into flapjacks, they seem to take it so well! Love your pictures too, so simply stunning.

    ReplyDelete